Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Picking Up Speed

Happy Middle-of-the-Week, blog readers!

For the first time this semester, I have been feeling bogged down with schoolwork and stress. I had been keeping on top of things like reading and assignments especially well, but lately it has been piling up. Hopefully this weekend I can catch up on everything so that the rest of the semester will go smoothly.

Of course there are always events on campus to keep my mind off the never-ending stress of school. Last night, Jonathan Kozol, education activist and author, spoke in the C. Walsh Theatre. I found out about it at the last minute, and am so glad I did. Kozol was so engaging, and especially relevant to me because of my plans to teach in the Mississippi Delta as a Teach For America Corps Member.

Tonight I start up again at my internship at Teen Voices. I will be working with a different group of high school-aged girls from last semester, and we will be working on an article about sexual health among young people. I was very excited when I found out we would be working on this section, since I did my InterFuture research on condom awareness and access in high schools.

I am so happy this week is almost over. It's been raining and dreary, and I am more than ready to have a relaxing weekend at my apartment. I will be working quite a bit at Banana Republic, but I am hoping to find some me-time, too. And then, before we know it, it will be March. Where did the time go? We are just about two weeks away from Spring Break, but for me that also means being two weeks away from my Praxis Exam. I need to take three Praxis Exams in order to receive my certification to teach in the Mississippi Delta, so it is extremely important that I pass. Needless to say, I am a bit stressed about it.

Time to leave the office and head over to Teen Voices. Enjoy...the rain?

No comments: